Monday, March 5, 2012

WikiTravel Manual of Style

WikiTravel provides a lot of guidelines, tips and instructions when it comes to their ‘Manual of Style’. There were three pieces of information outlined that I found to be helpful for writers as they craft entries to be submitted on WikiTravel.

First, as the writer you should think what exactly it is you want to get across to your audience. The ‘Main Page’ guideline offers five main concepts that are typically featured on the site. If aspiring to ‘make it big’ on WikiTravel selecting one of these options as your goal is a good place to start. Subcategories for this page include the ‘Destination of the Month” and “Off the Beaten Path”, “Discover” articles, selected major “Travel News”, a group effort for “Collaboration of the Month” or a “Star Article”. These options provide some starting point for writers as they begin.

The next section I found helpful was in “Travel Topics”. This pushes writers to think outside of the box and put themselves in the shoes of other travellers. It points out that perhaps people aren’t just looking for a great restaurant to get dinner at and are interested in other helpful details, such as weather. For example, the first time I travelled to Florida I had NO idea that it rained almost every day for at least 20 minutes. Other areas of information travellers may wish to know include if the destination is handicap friendly or is there fast access to a hospital for a traveler with health concerns.

Lastly, I found the section about article length and content to be very useful, especially for help in my own WikiTravel project. I love to talk which sometimes takes a toll on my writing causing it to be lengthy. The idea that an article should be long enough for a traveller to print out and put in their pocket is helpful to keep in mind. This allows for the writer to really focus on including only the most important information needed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment